Wednesday, May 12, 2010

An Incredible Tribute

"A man's worth can be measured in many different ways. Most of these ways are foolish.
"Is a man's worth measured by his wealth? Hardly. History is littered with wealthy people who are scoundrels. I meet lots of wealthy people whom I detest -- whom I don't wish to be near or whom I pity because they are shallow.
"Is a man's worth measured by his power? Absolutely not. Hitler and Stalin and Mao had enormous power. But they are among the scummiest of history's scumbags. Powerful people are almost always detestable creeps.
"Is a man's worth measured by his education? No. Many people with advanced college degrees (and I know lots of them!) lack decency and generosity. Too many are crybabies, more childish than mature and more clever than wise.
"Too few men are truly great. Greatness comes from within and is often invisible to eyes unfamiliar with a great person. A man is great only if he is responsible; only if he is a loyal and loving husband and father and friend; only if he teaches his children and grandchildren properly, not only with words but by example; only if he is free of envy and spite and pettiness."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/boudreaux/s_624810.html

Read the entire tribute. This part was the most potent:
"I also remember how, a few years ago when you and Mom were visiting us in Virginia, an offensive former colleague of mine ridiculed a view you expressed about the economy. You took no offense at his remark. You just smiled, and said only, 'Well, that's how things look to me, but I'm not as educated as you are.' Your voice had no trace of insult or anger. You didn't back down from your view in the face of my colleague's obnoxious remark, but nor did you deny that he might be correct. By word and example, you (a shipyard worker) upstaged my colleague (a university professor) in both tolerance and good manners."

This reminds me of the "True Gentleman." Based on this tribute, it would seem the man in question was one.
Thanks for sharing, Dr. B.

No comments:

Post a Comment