Monday, June 22, 2009

CrossFit - Thank You

My CrossFit autobiography was published today in the CrossFit Journal - journal.crossfit.com - Forty Years in the Fitness Wilderness - and the Editor, Daniel Freedman, did a fantastic job helping me pare down the original morass of ideas, experiences and observations into something that I think is "Journal worthy." Thanks Daniel, and Mike (Warkentin).

So much was pared that I knew I wouldn't have time to say thanks in the article to the folks who have made my time in the "land of Cindy and Murph" (thanks to whomever at the CFJ came up with that line - I love it) so rich - aside from the sweat, pain and humility Cindy and Murph bring - so, in no order at all, thanks to Barry, Joey, David P, Jakers, Buck, John F, Mike B, Nicole, Dave C, Freddy C, Carrie, Brian M, Mary Conover, Bingo, Karen, Dale, Dr. Glassman, Jeff and Mikki, Cyndi, Nichole, Debbie, Jay, Chris, MAS, Mark Maz, Mary R, Chuck, Jenni, Pat, and Jon - and the 100s of other folks that have made CrossFit the transformation force it has become. I've forgotten some names while sitting here - hopefully I've been able to communicate my gratitude to all of you at some point after my escape from the Fitness Wilderness.

I thank Greg and Lauren so often it bores even me, can't even guess how bored of that they are (and it still seems inadequate), but I thought of a way to put thankfulness into practice while listening to Greg speak (and watching the impact on the crowd) at the Ramona cert last weekend. I think the best I may be able to do is to learn to be the best trainer I can be. Greg and Lauren's creation is giving a new lease on abundant life to so many people, and the basis of that is giving us functional human movement. This is a challenging task, given all of the maladaptation we experience from a life lived in chairs. Being able to pass that gift along, by working to develop our the coaching craft, might be the most potent way we can give back. Even if there's a better way to give back to Greg and Lauren, I don't think they'd feel slighted if we all pursued 'coaching as 'thank you'.

If there's any bigger thank yous that I could owe, it's a continuous thanks to Mom and Dad for their example of living a good life and to Janet, who's gone much farther than supporting my CrossFit adventure, she's joined me. She's even invited me to coach her, it would be an effort to give me a better compliment than that.

I believe it is self evident that if fitness were left to the government, CrossFit would never have been known. I don't know of any simpler or more elegant lessons for those in favor of liberty.

CrossFit - thank you. Paul

6 comments:

  1. Eh Brother great read in the Journal there! Congrats on your success and keep on tearing it up! I was curious which CF Radio episode featured OPT. I went through the list and could find his name. Perhaps you could let me know which episode your were refering too! All the best my CF brother! I'm sure our paths will cross someday!

    Surrey Sterling
    www.fortime.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/01/crossfit-radio-episode-27-090130.tpl

    Surrey, Thanks for making contact, I appreciate you bro. Here's the link, http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/01/crossfit-radio-episode-27-090130.tpl, OPT's name is James Fitzgerald. Hope you enjoy it. Perhaps I'll see you at the Games? Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ocean! I will send a copy for your review if you don't have a CFJ subscription.

    I miss reading your missives.

    I can't imagine how big your babies must be now ... Ari was nine two weeks ago. Go figure ...

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does Glassman even work out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous asks whether or not Greg Glassman works out. In most cases, I've learned that those who are concerned with this question are not concerned with why CrossFit matters. Usually, they wish to throw stones at CrossFit because CrossFit's founder is not as skinny as Denise Austin. To those folks I say, "Feel free to do Denise's fitness program."

    Some may actually be concerned about Coach's health. I have been on occasion, but realized that, one, it's none of my business and two, he's a heck of a lot smarter than I am and seems to be making out just fine.

    Bottom line for me is, if you get distracted by your view of Coach Glassman's lifestyle, you will get what you deserve from that choice. Were you to ask, I'd suggest that instead of wasting time worrying about that, you'd be better served by learning what CrossFit has taught many an athlete, which is how to get the fitness they want.

    ReplyDelete