Friday, June 26, 2009

Intrusive Leadership, A Life 'Saved'

Perhaps the better term is a 'life enhanced' or 'magnified' or 'accelerated' ... It's a great tale of leadership, what the Navy would term "intrusive leadership." There's plenty of character and transformation sprinkled in.

From a friend who would like to remain anonymous:
"I hardly deserve designation as a "Crossfitter". Three years ago I was about 50 pounds overweight and had become physically lazy. I was on the path to the extreme obesity that characterizes my extended family. A dear friend who is a personal trainer and member of my church told me he would not watch me "dig my grave with my spoon." Thus started three years of free training with him twice a week in his little private gym. His stuff is CF-like, but is very much his own. He's been in the biz for about twenty years, training everyone from the very elderly to athletes.

My intro to CF came shortly thereafter through another friend at church who is a federal LEO who I started training with for fun and extra accountability. That led to a tight friendship with these guys and a few others who surfaced as fitness psychos. So I have a very eclectic training routine. I have an appointment to work out with SOMEBODY four days a week!

The personal trainer's influence and insistence saved my life. He was not only the catalyst, he refused to let me quit for TWO YEARS. He made me keep a food journal, and once scheduled a meeting in my office to talk to me about junk food he saw on my shelves. Thanks to his diligence, fitness is now a passion of my own, though he still won't let me stop hitting his gym twice a week. And he still won't take money. I've finally settled into providing the bottled water, but it humbles and honors me when he comes to the gym at 6 a.m. to train me even when he sometimes knows that no other paying clients will be there. He's just that committed to my well being and our friendship. I'm a blessed man.

If you're still reading all this, thanks. I have a debt of gratitude to repay.

And precisely for that reason, I'm committed to being truthful and honoring those to whom honor is due."

My friend, I humbly salute your reclamation of your life and I'm sure you've realized by now how that process has magnified your own influence over your flock.

No comments:

Post a Comment