Saturday, January 12, 2013

Why Did No One Help?

Powerful, beautiful writing.

"At 17, I was just a child. Life rewarded me richly for surviving. I stumbled home, wounded and traumatized, to a fabulous family. With them on my side, so much came my way. I found true love. I wrote books. I saw a kangaroo in the wild. I caught buses and missed trains. I had a shining child. The century changed. My first gray hair appeared."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/08/opinion/after-being-raped-i-was-wounde
d-my-honor-wasnt.html?src=ISMR_AP_LO_MST_FB


Sobering analysis of the price we pay for an overbearing state, which we don't trust and which, at the same time, makes "protecting victims" a job of the police; "not what I'm supposed to do."

" The crux is here that the "cost" is often not a strictly economic or financial cost. Rather it represents in part the opportunity cost of time and the more direct costs that would be incurred for someone who did get involved and then would need to spend hours, days, perhaps even weeks entangled with the authorities. We document in the book cases in India and China where would-be Good Samaritans have ended up being harassed by the police, wrongly accused themselves of being the perpetrators, and, in some cases even being accused by the victims whom they're trying to help. To put it bluntly, most people just don't trust the authorities and aren't willing to take the risk of getting mixed up with them for fear of any or all of these things happening. It's not necessarily that they don't want to help, or somehow apathy is hardwired into Indian culture, but people's desire to help is overwhelmed understandably by their reluctance to suffer unnecessarily as a result of helping."

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013/01/05/delhi-rape-why-did-no-one-
help/?mod=e2tw

No comments:

Post a Comment