Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Role Of Government

"The primary focus of Obama's health care reform was initially offering insurance to the uninsured, only about one in ten adults. It did not focus foremost on lower costs, improving quality and offering more security to the working and middle class. Obama repeated an old Democratic mistake. It was during Johnson's Great
Society that Democrats went from pushing federal programs that once reached the broad public, like the G.I. Bill, to programs that increasingly offered benefits to smaller constituencies. And as the Democratic mandate left behind the larger public, that public left behind the Democrats."
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/09/10/obama_confronts_deeper_debate_role_of_government_98242.html#

My take - the role of govt is to defend the rights of the individual. Rights are easy to define - my rights end where your nose and property begins (with a very few, complicated exceptions).  I believe this is the purpose for which we consent to be govorned.  I believe this is the role the Founders intended for the Federal Govt.  I wish their inspired document had served to contain government as they intended.