Saturday, January 23, 2021

I didn't realize it, but things are just exactly like they were in 1968 ...

It is confusing to me why a person would make the argument that nothing has changed since 1968, especially one that lived through the change. They cannot mean that literally, it is just as difficult to be a Black American now as it was then.

I grew up wondering why family and friends would argue about Hank Aaron not legitimately earning the home run record - who cares what the banalities were, he his more home runs and he was the hitter I cheered for as a Braves fan. I never cheered for a segregated Crimson Tide team, by the time I was able to watch, dominant black athletes were a core component of the Tide's success. Hey, I know I was lucky, I saw enough of the slavery hangover but much less than the previous generation. 

Is it still harder to be born a Black American than white? As a generality, of course. I wish I wish I wish there was a way to shift the suffering and poverty and ensure every human could live up to their full potential for growth and love and satisfaction, safe and supported and healthy. As an officer in the US Navy I saw so many Black Americans do just that and it gave me hope and I silently cheered and as they created a good life for themselves. I worked shoulder to shoulder with so many fine humans of so many ethnicities and a broad spectrum of cultural history. I hope that some of my childhood classmates (elementary school in Alabama in the 70s) have done as well. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2021/01/20/an_open_letter_to_stevie_wonder.html

The article points out:
In 2008 America elected – and in 2012 reelected – the nation’s first African American president.

Two months ago, a majority Americans voters cast ballots for a woman whose immigrant parents grew up on opposite sides of the globe under British rule: Donald Harris in Jamaica and Shyamala Gopalan in India. Their daughter, Kamala Harris, takes the oath of office tomorrow as vice president.

Two weeks ago, and for the first time, voters in Georgia sent a black man to the United States Senate. Martin Luther King would have certainly considered that progress: The new senator, Raphael Warnock, is the pastor at Dr. King’s iconic church.

In 2013, Tim Scott was appointed to fill Strom Thurmond’s old Senate seat. The following year, Sen. Scott won election in his own right, having become the first African American senator elected from the Deep South since Reconstruction. He did it by winning more than 60% of the vote.

From 2001-2005, Colin Powell served as the first African American secretary of state. He was succeeded by Condoleezza Rice, the first female African American secretary of state.

Michelle Obama has held the title of “the most admired woman in America” for three years in row. Oprah Winfrey has been on the list for 33 consecutive years.

Two decades ago, Robert Johnson, the CEO of Black Entertainment Television, became the first black billionaire.


No comments:

Post a Comment