Sunday, December 23, 2018

Deer - a "menace"?

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2018/12/20/deer_are_a_menace_and_we_need_to_kill_a_lot_more_of_them.html

What if, absent the natural predators for deer, they are a menace as hunters have said they would be all along absent hunting?

What if the bambi idea is backwards - that deer are eating plants to extinction and their populations have grown all too fast after being devastated by the deforestation of the early 1900s?

That seems to be true, not to mention their risk to humans in cars.

I love deer. I've hunted them all my life. I like to see them, hunt them, eat them. They are beautiful. The whitetail is apparently more adaptable than the mule deer, which is decreasing in numbers.

I hope the human race keeps learning how to help them live in balance with the rest of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment