Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Magnificent


Read this article, it is a jewel, especially if you've ever walked this road.

I got a medal for being in a combat zone, and have had the thoughts he expressed many times.  I paid a high price to get to that tour, as did my family, monetarily and in terms of missing my son's first 18 months.  It hurt quite a lot at the time, but now, I feel grateful that I came back whole, as many did not.  I count my blessings.

The combat medal - I feel very proud of it.  I'm also embarrassed by it, as I know, in the author's words, "Many did more and got less." 

Dichotomy is often present as we approach truth.

If I'm proud of the medal, it's nothing compared to friendships made, faith kept, and the growth I was able to get from myself as a human during the 14 months of un-anticipated challenge.  14 months of self pity kept at bay, determination to get it right and set the best example I could, and a daily choice to extract all that I could from that day.  I am very proud to have served.  I am proud of knowing those with whom I served.  I wish I would have known how to accomplish more, but I'm also grateful it was not asked that I trade my life.  Those who walked that road - I think the first thing we owe them is a determination to make something out of what they bought for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment