Saturday, December 19, 2020

Back in the 90's I worked the Flight Deck of the USS ENTERPRISE



I had a memory of being assigned to ENTERPRISE, where I was a catapult and arresting gear officer. One day after we shot training command jets for 3 days (new pilots flying with instructors earning their carrier qualification the first time), my boss (the “Air Boss”), who knew the CO of the training squadron, got a ride for me in the back of a trainer jet - 5 shots and traps.

The catapult shots were 4g of acceleration – 0 to 120 in 4s. It feels like nothing could possibly stand up to that much pressure, the thought in my head was “nothing could survive this” even though I was surviving it. I learned it is best enjoyed when giving a rebel yell when the jet started down the track.
At the end of the cat shot, 60’ above the water, the transition was from crushing acceleration to none. It felt like the jet was hovering off of the bow of the ship, absolutely surreal, like the plane could just fall into the water. 

I had a moment at work like that Thursday morning - only not a physical experience, a purely mental one when the frantic work hit the finish line and I had nothing to do ...

There was a lot to love about my tour aboard Big E, and a lot to grieve as we lost 5 members of the team in that 3 years - and I watched helplessly as a Sailor lost his hand in a jet intake in a moment of carelessness on deck. 

I enjoyed the intensity, the team work, and my sense of responsibility to the youngsters on deck working long days in the cold and heat, with way too little sleep. I did my best to shepherd them, I pulled or directed many of them out of dangerous spots and was honored to have the opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment