Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Never Fails to Interest

Never fails to interest those of us on the outside when we see folks doing monumentally stupid things and getting the hammer for it.  This is the "Bathsheba Syndrome" - leaders gain so much confidence in their ability to control events that they think they can do whatever they want.  It's happened to a lot of talented folks.  The first clue should be - "how come I have to lie to the most important people in my life to feel the way I want to feel?"  If you can't catch yourself by asking that question you won't be able to control what happens after that, either. 

Rob Roy's memorable quote in the movie by that name was "honor is a man's gift to himself.  Kings cannot give it and king's cannot take it away."  To guard your own honor, on should follow that thought with "Humility is a man's gift to himself.  It gives us a chance to not throw away what is invaluable for those bright shiny things that we already know won't make us happy." 

I'm no genius. I have made that very clear over the years, usually by accident. And I had no idea that Bobby Petrino may have been sleeping with a young Arkansas fundraiser named Jessica Dorrell. Nor do I really care.
But if we were playing a game, and you asked me to guess which major-college coach hired his mistress to work with his football program, got in a motorcycle accident with her on board, then lied to his bosses about the relationship, I could have guessed "Bobby Petrino" faster than it takes him to print out his resume, and I probably could have gone for the bonus points and guessed the woman was a blonde.


Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/michael_rosenberg/04/10/guillen.petrino/index.html#ixzz1rkkAq6ql

No comments:

Post a Comment