Sunday, July 5, 2009

"Poppop, Did it look like that?"

My son (aka "Hambone") was playing a computer version of Axis and Allies, a WWII simulation game at the home of his great grand father last week. "Poppop" was a Lieutenant ( junior grade) afloat and in charge of several USN vessels on D Day. He made a daring trip ashore to take what was estimated by the Army to be a 3 day supply of blood plasma to the hospital just above the beach. When Hambone saw the beach on the computer, he said, "Did it look like that Poppop?" Poppop took a look and they talked it over, and Hambone later reported that some of the art in the game did, and some did not, look like what Popppop remembered. I was feeling incredibly blessed to have been able to put my son in the company of a family member who had "been there and done that." I wonder how it will seem to my kids and their kids - assuming I'm lucky enough to be the old guy who 'was in Iraq'?

No comments:

Post a Comment